Those Virginians who were not Baptists organized a Methodist group in the southeast part of Catherton precinct. The congregation raised over $1600 and hired area carpenter-farmer Svend Lindquist to construct a 28 by 40 foot building. On August 18, 1906, the night before it was to have been dedicated, the New Virginia Church burned to the ground. Sunday morning the congregation met at the New Virginia schoolhouse as usual and made plans to rebuild using the insurance money.
The second New Virginia Methodist Church was dedicated on April 14, 1907. This congregation held its celebration of 100 years continuous activity May 2, 1982, and still meets monthly with a carry-in dinner. Prime movers in the early church history were Ed Payne, Clarence and John Wilson, Mrs. Marker, E.J. Peterson, A.A. Cooper, Daniel and Jay Lovejoy, and Rolly Brooks.