Some time in the early 1870’s, a group of Virginians from the Shenandoah Valley migrated to Nebraska and settled in Catherton township. In 1880, they organized the school district No 65, and built a sod school house which was used, not only for day school but also Sunday School and church and other community activities.
As the community grew, the school and church were represented by different national backgrounds coming from various eastern states.
Lloyd Crabill was the first Sunday School Superintendent, suggesting the name New Virginia to be given the church and school. His wife, Leva, was one of the first teachers in this early Sunday School.
In 1884, a frame building replaced the sod house. Mrs. Fannie Brooks was the first school teacher in the new school house.
In 1906, a fine new church building was built a half mile west of the school house. With everything in readiness for its dedication the building mysteriously burned to the ground. Church services were again resumed in the school house and during the following year a new building was erected and dedicated on April 13th, 1907.
The Ladies Aid Society was organized in 1907 and has been an active group throughout the years. When, in 1942 ministers became scarce, Inavale was added to the Red Cloud Charge, and New Virginia was left without a pastor. Thru the influence of the Ladies Aid, the Community paid the yearly insurance on the building and paid the customary benevolences. In 1950, under the leadership of Rev. Moore of the R.C.-Inavale charge, the New Virginia Church was again reopened.